- 1 Quick start
- 2 Hamster system
- 3 Hamster calibrations and configurations
- 4 Hamster F.A.Q
- 5 Hamster wireless network
- 6 Low level controller
- 7 Server
- 8 Master
- 9 Slave
1. Install hamster server - multi-master configuration https://wiki.cogni.io/index.php/HamsterServer
(if your robot was shipped before January 2018 - single-master configuration)
2. Turn on robot
3. Control your agents in hamster.perspective -rqt with mouse, joystick and keyboard:
Select window with agent number:
agents 1-10 switching with 1 ... 0 keyboard buttons
agents 11-20 switching with shift + 1 ... shift + 0
4. See your robot in hamster.rviz
For agents 3-20 change agent number in topic names
Hamster research teams
The Hamster is being used as a research platform at various institutes
- Ben Gurion University
- Bar Ilan University
- College of Management
- Holon Institute of technology
- Mitsubishi Research lab
- Intel Innovation Lab
Hamster research papers
- Maintaining Communication in Multi-Robot Tree Coverage
- Automated Agents for Advice Provision
- Distributed Accurate Formation Control Under Uncertainty
- Intelligent Agent Supporting Human-Multi-Robot Team Collaboration
- Control Architecture Design for Autonomous Vehicles
- Uncertain Local Leader Selection In Distributed Formation
- Multiple Robots For Multiple Missions: Architecture for Complex Collaboration
- Research lab landing page
- Motion Planning of Autonomous Road Vehicles by Particle Filtering: Implementation and Validation
Each robots has two raspberry pi computers on board - master and slave, and a low level controller.
Master - Has a wifi connection to the hamster network, provides network access to slave. It also connects to the slave computer directly via ethernet cable.
Slave - Second computer, used primarily for GPS data broadcasting, connected to hamster network via master.
Low level controller - Arduino based board responsible for interaction with hardware components.
Hamster robot is capable of running mapping, localization or outdoor localization (using GPS and IMU).
Switching between modes:
In order to change the operation mode publish std_msgs/String message to
/mapping_command topic, containing on e of the following strings:
1 rostopic pub /mapping_command std_msgs/String "data: 'slam'"
1 rostopic pub /mapping_command std_msgs/String "data: 'localization'"
When switching from mapping to localization mode, the map is saved by the server, and loaded for localization algorithm.
All maps saved inside ~/hamster_ws/src/hamster_server_launch/maps$
Hamster calibrations and configurations
- Calibrate IMU IMU
- Calibrate Steering Steering
- Config Network Network
- Power and Battery Power
- Commands / Modes Modes
- Q: What is the Hamster maximum speed
- A: 1.2m/s
- Q: What is the Hamster minimum speed
- A: 0.1 m/s
- Q: What is the Hamster turning deg sensitivity
- A: ~1 deg
- Q: My Hamster turns in place in a suspicious manner. Why is it?
- A: We call this the Austin Powers turn. This is since the Hamster uses hackerman steering geometry. With 0 linar force and some angular force it results in
Hamster wireless network
- SSID 2.4Ghz: hamster_net
- SSID 5.0Ghz: hamster_net5
- Password: hamsterHAMSTER
- Network: 10.0.2.0
- Netmask: 255.255.255.0
- Gateway: 10.0.2.138
- User = pi / hamster (on up squared)
- Password = hamster
- IP: 10.0.2.n/192.168.n.1
- IP: 192.168.n.2
n - stands for agent id, e.g agent7 will have 10.0.2.7/192.168.7.1
Low level controller
The LLC board is responsible for interaction with hardware components such as:
- Motors (drive and steering)
- Encoders (mainly used for PID controller)
- Battery monitoring
- Cut-off (shuts down the platform when battery goes below certain voltage)
The LLC is connected to master computer via UART (serial)
A built-in switch is also provided for the possibility of loading new firmware (voids warranty, can be provided per request)
Usually runs ROS master services, it also loads and publishes the map for localization
Note: hamster robot may be configured to use local ROS master to avoid using dedicated server for this purpose
Majority of hardware is connected to the master pc, it also acts as network gateway for slave
- WiFi ew-7811uac EDIMAX AC600
- Camera raspberry Pi module v2
- LiDar A2M8 (USB)
- IMU AltIMU-10 v5
- Ethernet (to slave)
- Low level controller (via UART)
GPS data broadcaster
- GPS Mouse - GP-808G
- Ethernet (to master)
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Pages in category "Hamster"
The following 14 pages are in this category, out of 14 total.